Wednesday, August 19, 2009

all in a day's work

Today I conquered two giants. To you they may seem like simple everyday actions, but to me, my day's feats were the equivalent of running a marathon, climbing a mountain, or figuring out that blasted rubix cube.

First, I faced a giant and probably poisonous spider. My first thought went something like "ahhhhhhhhhhhhshoot", quickly followed by, "who am I going to get to kill this monster?" Then I remembered the only other person in the house was probably in a (doctor prescribed) drug-induced slumber at the moment. So it was just me and the beasty. After taking a step back and a much needed breather, I formulated a genuis plan. Which, miraculously, ended in the spider rushing through the u-bend, where he no doubt met and became BFF with Moaning Myrtle. This is only the second spider I have ever killed, and it was definitely the biggest. I'm very proud.

My second triumph may seem even more trivial, but to me it signified a rite a passage. It wasn't so much a David and Goliath victory, but more of a life changing realization. As I was making myself a delicious breakfast burrito I hit the egg against the side and pulled it apart like it was nobody's business. No thought of yolk explosion or fear of egg shell disaster. Without even realizing it, my egg cracking fear has slowly but surely faded. And today was the day it all became clear to me. By no means can I do any of your fancy crack-with-one-hand business; just the regular two-handed-crack is victory enough for me.

What a good day.

No comments: