Saturday, August 15, 2009

to China or not to China

I was so SURE that I wanted to go to China! And really I do still want to. But I don't have this burning ball of happiness in my heart every time I think about it like I used to. That's ok, though, right? I mean, I'm not going to be socompletelyandtotally psyched for eight straight months, right?

Anyway, my excitement levels aside, it is not helping that I am getting bombarded from all sides with reasons to stay. So, in the spirit of Gilmore Girls, I have decided to make a pro/con list. Ready, go.

::CONS::
I miss K's homecoming
I miss A's wedding
I'm set back one more semester (though I really don't care too much about this)
I leave M all all alone
I miss out on a summer filled with potential N goodness

::PROS::
I get to teach English in a foreign country
When else am I going to go to China?!
The Great Wall
Terra Cotta Warriors
I'll have many classrooms full of adoring fans
Everywhere I go, people will stare in admiration of the Tall White Girl
I'll have unparalleled adventures (providing me with excellent blogging material)
It's 800 bucks. Dang.

Ok, while the pros clearly kick the cons' behind in terms of numbers, that list didn't actually help me at all. I knew all those things. And to confuse me even more, if the last few millennia are any indication, China isn't going anywhere. I could put it off. But I'm too scared that if I do that, I'll never get to China. Something else will always come up. I kind of feel like I need to stop thinking so much and just do it.

Exit, brain.

No comments: